Summer has arrived! Yeah, I know, it's not June 21 yet. But I think summer begins the first time you go out to the bars at night without a jacket, the first time you burn your ass on a hot car seat, and the first time you take a bite of key lime pie.
For me, lime in general signifies summer, whether it's sipping a Bud Lite Lime by the pool or digging into some guacamole at a BBQ. Everyone loves lime! Well, almost everyone....
Key lime pie is an unbelievably easy dessert to make and. It only has five ingredients!! So go ahead and dig into that first bite of summer :)
- 9 inch graham cracker pie crust. I get the reduced fat kind at the grocery store...way easier and less messy than making your own!
- 4 egg yolks. Save the whites for a yummy omelette the next day.
- 2 14 oz. cans of sweetened condensed milk. Find these in the baking aisle, and feel free to use the low fat kind if you are gearing up for bikini season.
- 1 cup bottled key lime juice. At first I wanted to buy fresh key limes, but they are small and you would need to cut and squeeze about twenty of them to get the juice you need (aw hell, no!) The bottled kind is so much easier, cheaper, and still delicious!
- Whipped cream for topping (optional). But not really optional.
That's it! You can play with the amounts a little depending on how sweet/tart you like your pie, but this turned out great. Feel free to garnish with fresh lime slices or add a drop or two of green food coloring to the mix (oh you fancy, huh?)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Separate your eggs and put the yolks in a mixing bowl.
Whisk in your sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice (and food coloring if you are using it).
Pour the mixture into the pie crust and smooth it out.
Put the pie into the oven, making sure not to burn the $#% out of your arm like I did! Let it bake for about 15 minutes or until the pie is set and only jiggles slightly in the middle when you shake it, kind of like me.
Let the pie cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least a couple hours. Slice it up and top with whipped cream!
What are YOUR favorite summer foods?