Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Italian Baked Fish with Onions and Potatoes



Hi, everybody! Sorry for my extended absence. I was attending a wedding in northern Wisconsin, land of deer heads on every wall and wolf shirts for sale on every corner.




I also had quite the culinary experience, including but not limited to: pork bratwurst, veal bratwurst, pizza, cheeseburger, steak, french fries, onion rings, fudge, and FRIED CHEESE CURDS. That's right. FRIED CHEESE CURDS.

Needless to say, I felt the need for a bit of a detox from saturated fat, and so I turned to my old friend: fish. My Italian Baked Fish with Onions and Potatoes is light enough for summer but hearty enough for a nice full dinner. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
  • 1 firm white fish filet. I used cod cause that's what I had in my freezer, but you could easily use tilapia, haddock, flounder, etc.
  • 3 small potatoes. I used a pretty, colorful mix from the farmer's market. If you aren't as hip and enviro-friendly as I am, Yukon Gold potatoes from the grocery store would work great as well.
  • 1 onion
  • 1 can Italian style diced tomatoes. The kind I got was flavored with basil, garlic, and oregano. Saves you extra ingredients, so why not be lazy?
  • 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
  • Olive oil
This recipe is unbelievably easy, delicious, and nutritious. Hurray!**


**Sometimes I don't know what to say to end the Ingredients section, so I insert awkward exclamatory phrases to get you excited about my food.


Directions:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Slice your potatoes and onions into pieces about 1/2 inch thick. Like I said, I used potatoes from the farmer's market, so do not adjust your computer monitor: those are indeed purple potatoes.




Toss the potatoes and onions with 1 tbsp. of the Italian seasoning and enough olive oil to coat. Lay them out in a single layer in a baking dish.




Pop them in the oven for about 30 minutes. The onion will become crispy and unbelievably sweet, and the potatoes as tender as a romance novel.




After half an hour, take out the dish and pour the can of tomatoes over the potatoes and onions. Then lay the fish on top of the tomatoes and sprinkle** with the remaining 1 tbsp. of Italian seasoning.

**I typed "spronkle" by accident first, and it made me giggle for some reason.




Put the dish in the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes (depending on how thick your fish is) until the fish flakes apart easily and the sauce is all bubbly and delicious. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment